Are you thinking about a summer vacation and concerned about the cost? Guest Writer, Alexandra Jacobs, shares with us a few destinations for a summer trip that are affordable and fun!
Vacationing with the family is one of the greatest ways to bond while sharing in a memorable experience. There are many destinations in the world perfectly suited for families. Many of these prime vacation spots also offer incredible deals on flights, lodging and entertainment. Here are five of the most ideal destinations for families:
Photo by flickr user TheChanel
This Southern California retreat has always been a hit with families. Miles of gorgeous coastline, perfect weather and exciting family activities are what make this destination truly special. Fabulous travel deals are always available for families who wish to visit this amazing city.
Places to Visit:
- San Diego Zoo – Families can spend a day at this famous zoo enjoying all of the wildlife on display. The zoo offers safari adventures to guests. Families can even try riding on the zip line to get a bird’s eye view of the attraction.
- SeaWorld – This popular attraction lets families explore the world of marine life. Spectacular shows featuring dolphins and orcas performing amazing stunts are sure to keep the children entertained. The park also features some exciting rides for the family to enjoy.
- Hodad’s – This beachfront eatery is particularly popular with the locals. Delicious burgers, tasty fries and soothing shakes can be found on the menu. Best of all, dining here will be very easy on the budget.
- Hash House A Go Go – Families can find plenty of menu items to suit all taste levels. French toast and pancakes are popular breakfast options. The restaurant also serves an assortment of edibles such as sandwiches, pasta and seafood.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Zoo/SeaWorld Area – This hotel is close to all of the best attractions in San Diego. Guests can enjoy comfortable amenities and a free breakfast buffet.
- Bahia Resort Hotel – Families can enjoy luxurious accommodations at bargain prices. The hotel sits on a private peninsula overlooking Mission Bay.
New York City
Photo by flickr user V1ll14N
Believe it or not, this high-class city can still be enjoyed on the cheap. Many of the city’s popular attractions are inexpensive, and getting around the city can also be reasonable. For families who want to splurge on a luxurious experience, taking a trip out to Long Island and renting one of the prestigious Hamptons homes is a suitable idea.
Places to Visit:
- Central Park – Families can enjoy this grand outdoor space for free. The park features beautiful scenes of nature and some of the best views of the city skyline.
- Empire State Building – For a reasonable fee, families can take the elevator to the top observation deck of this towering structure. Families can see most of the city from this building.
- Playwright Tavern & Restaurant – This restaurant is located in bustling Times Square. A staff of friendly Irish servers is available to welcome guests. Recommended menu items include the French onion soup and the hot pastrami sandwich.
- 10 Downing – Diners can find many American classics on the menu. Items include seafood, beef and pork dishes.
- YMCA – Families who wish to save money can choose to stay at one of these lodging facilities in the city. The types of rooms can vary and bathrooms can be shared or private.
- Edison Hotel – This hotel is located near many popular attractions in the city. Guests can also find an on-site coffee shop.
Photo by flickr user D’Arcy Norman
This resort city is nestled along the stunning coastline of Mexico. Families can experience the vibrant culture and interesting sites of the city during their vacation. Enjoy the sun while your children play in the sand and boogie board in the ocean!
Places to Visit:
- Old Town – This section of the city features many historical buildings. Much of the area also features old cobblestone streets.
- Vallarta Gardens – Families can connect with nature by visiting this lovely attraction. The gardens comprise 20 acres of land and feature many colorful flowers and other forms of plant life.
- Las Palomas – This popular restaurant features a wide selection of Mexican dishes such as enchiladas and fajitas. Families can also dine on steaks, burgers and chicken dishes.
- The River Café – The menu for this restaurant features breakfast crepes, pasta and steaks. Families can also listen to the soothing sounds of the nearby Cuale River as it flows through the area.
- Frankfurt – A sense of old-world charm can be found in this hotel. The rooms include a private kitchenette.
- Eloisa Hotel – Breathtaking views of Banderas Bay can be seen from this hotel. Satellite TV is provided in all rooms. The hotel also features a large swimming pool.
Many great bargains exist for families who travel to this island paradise during the off-season. Even during this time of fewer tourists, Hawaii still has fantastic weather and a range of activities to enjoy.
Places to Visit:
- USS Arizona Memorial – Located on the island of Oahu, this memorial sits at the site of where the USS Arizona was sunk during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Families can tour the monument to learn more about the events of that day.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park – Families can see active volcanoes by visiting this park located on the Big Island. Kilauea can be seen erupting on a regular basis.
- Little Village Noodle House – For a cheap bite to eat, this Honolulu restaurant is highly recommended. The menu features Chinese food items like pot stickers, wontons and sesame pancakes.
- Kahuka – This restaurant can be found on the island of Oahu in Kahuka. Families can enjoy delicious edibles such as cheeseburgers, teriyaki chicken and sundaes.
- Park Shore Waikiki – Families visiting Honolulu can stay at this hotel to see stunning ocean views. The hotel also offers guests daily housekeeping and complimentary toiletries.
- Volcano Inn – For a charming bed and breakfast, families can try staying at this accommodation located on the Big Island. Guests have the pleasure of enjoying cable TV and a free newspaper.
Photo by flickr user ~MVI~ /broken camera L
This capital city of Thailand has long been known as a cheap vacation destination. The city holds many fascinating sites for families to enjoy such as ancient temples and lavish palaces.
Places to Visit:
- Grand Palace – This sprawling palace dates back to the 18th century. Families can tour the grounds to see beautiful statues and peaceful garden spaces.
- Wat Arun – This sacred temple is truly an architectural masterpiece. It can be seeing towering above the Chao Phraya River.
- Suda – This sidewalk café can provide a pleasant dining experience. Families can feast upon a variety of spicy fish and meat dishes.
- Pan Pan – Families who wish to dine on European cuisine during their visit can try this authentic Italian restaurant. Seafood tortellini and other scrumptious pasta dishes can be found on the menu.
- Bangkok City Hotel – Located in the business district, families can find amazing deals at this hotel. Rooms come complete with satellite TV and a mini-bar.
- Convenient Park – Families can enjoy many of the standard amenities found in other hotels. This accommodation also offers guests Internet connection and swift laundry service.
Alexandra is a travel enthusiast who loves to write about tourism, beaches, food, and the wonderful things in the world. She provides her own insights on vacationing to the blogosphere. If you would like to learn more about her, follow her @alexsjourneys or visit her blog alexsjourneys.wordpress.com
Please note: The destinations and suggestions found in this Guest Post are those of Alexandra Jacobs. Steph from Be Positive Mom has not been to these destinations noted above and cannot comment on the accuracy of the pricing, affordability or safety of each location. Please consult your travel agent for further information. Travel safe and responsibly!