Did you know Valentine’s Day became associated with romance and love back in the High Middle Ages? Even then, lovers expressed their love by presenting flowers, candy and cards.
Fast forward to today and wow, things have changed! Diamonds, chocolate, presents and more. The concept is the same but the cost and pressure has skyrocketed.
A co-worker asked me last week what I thought my husband was going to get me for Valentine’s Day. His jaw hit the floor when I replied, “Probably a card.”
That’s it? Yep. That would be it and the same from me to him. We are hoping to get out for an hour to have sushi night at one of our favorite restaurants. If it doesn’t happen tonight, we’ll fit it in later in the week. That’s what works for us so we can get a night or day away as a treat once in a while.
So much emphasis is put on the tangible… a ring, chocolate, a card. If that is what you’re ideal V-day includes, then great!
See’s Candies will be open late and ready to serve up that 1-pounder of treats… I know since my own mom works there!
If Valentine’s Day is not really your holiday to celebrate for whatever reason, I included a few alternative ways to enjoy Tuesday (which happens to also be called Valentine’s Day this year!). You can enjoy these solo or with a significant other… or even with the kiddos.
Top Ways to Enjoy Your Tuesday (aka Valentine’s Day)
Nurture from the outside (physical):
- Take a walk—before, during or after work.
- Get a message.
- Go outside during lunch and hey, why not treat yourself to lunch while you are out!
- Disconnect during the evening—turn off the TV, phone and computer for an hour.
- Just breathe and relax. Close your eyes, inhale 1-2-3 and then exhale 1-2-3.
Nurture from the inside (emotional):
- Practice affirmations out loud.
- Journal your thoughts for the day.
- Write out your goals for the week and shift your focus towards that goal.
- Write a “positive” letter to yourself. Start it off with “Your name, this week I want to tell you…”
- Sneak away for a little “me time” even if it’s a 10 minute break.
- Call a friend today or meet a friend out. Voice to voice. One to one.
Our little guy will have Valentine’s fun at school with cookies, cards and play time with his buddies. At his young age…No fuss. No muss.
So today, let’s celebrate ourselves and keep it going through the rest of the week. Happy Tuesday!
How are you going to celebrate today?